Nigella’s version of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups which Pippa used to get people to bring back from the States and which she got me hooked on. Recipe stolen outright from the Google cache as the BBC have removed this from their web site. Sosumi.
We used edible gold and white hologram glitter rather than single gold stars. They turned out even tastier than Reese’s and just as addictive.
For the base
50g/2oz soft dark brown sugar
200g/7oz icing sugar
50g/2oz butter, softened
200g/7oz smooth peanut butter (not wholenut)
For the topping
200g/7oz milk chocolate
100g/3½oz dark chocolate
gold buttons and edible gold stars to decorate, or other decorations of your choice
1. For the base, place all the ingredients for the base in the bowl of a food processor. Blend the mixture until the mixture takes on a sandy texture.
2. Place 48 gold petit four cases in sets of miniature tart tins or mini-muffin tins (each indent about 4.5cm/1¾in in diameter).
3. Use one teaspoon of the base mixture to fill the bases of the petit four cases. Press the sandy mixture down into the cases as best you can to form a layer at the bottom of each paper case.
4. Place the milk chocolate and dark chocolate together into a heatproof bowl. Suspend the bowl over a pan of simmering water (the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl). Melt the chocolate gently while stirring.
5. Spoon teaspoonfuls of the melted chocolate onto the top of each of the sandy bases of the petit four cases.
6. Decorate the tops of the chocolate covered peanut butter cups with either a gold button or gold star in the middle of each and transfer them to the fridge. Let them set in the fridge, for about half an hour.
7. To serve, arrange the chocolate peanut butter cups in their cases on a clean plate.