This was perfect meal for a wet and not-at-all warm half term supper. Adapted from Jamie at Home.
Serves 4 hungry young hippos.
- 1kg pork shoulder, skin-on, seasoned with salt & pepper
- 1 or 2 onions, thinly sliced
- some fresh chillies
- 2 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano and/or marjoram
- 2 red, orange or yellow peppers
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- rice, soured cream, wraps to serve
Heat the oven to 180C. Fry the pork, fat-side down, in some olive oil in an 0ven-proof casserole for about 15 minutes. When the fat has rendered a bit, put the pork to one side and fry the onions, chilli, paprika, fennel seeds, herbs and peppers for about 10 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, red wine vinegar and pop the pork back in. Top up with water and put in the oven for an hour or two, until the pork is cooked and pulls apart in tender strands.
Serve with rice and / or wraps and soured cream. Delicious.