Just made the most delicious chicken to go with a small Middle Eastern medley… made with some spices from Jerusalem.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 or 3 tsp of zatar (a mix of thyme, marjoram, oregano, sumac and sesame seeds)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp seasalt
- 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cranberry jelly (don’t ask why – it just worked!)
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp agave nectar, or other sweetening agent
- 1/4 onion
Pound the garlic and salt into a paste and add all the other ingredients. Mush up into a thick gloopy paste, which you then smother over the chicken meat. Leave it marinade for as long as you can, then fry in olive oil on a high heat to begin with with a quarter onion cut into thick slices. Reduce the heat and turn the chicken to ensure it is cooked all the way through.
We had this with warmed pitta bread, salad, couscous, home-made hummus and falafels. Utterly divine.