You will need:
- Some chicken thighs (or breasts, but thighs are cheaper and tastier. Cheaper and tastier in the Suppertime way.) – 1 per person.
- Some buttermilk – or and egg / milk mix.
- Spicy sauce of your choice, e.g. a Mexican chilli sauce.
- Some polenta or semolina
- Plenty of salt, freshly-ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder / granules
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
Bash the chicken flat with a rolling pin. Put it in a bowl for a while with the buttermilk and spicy sauce mix to marinade.
Meanwhile, in an old ice cream tub, mix all the dry ingredients, then put the lid on and shake like a Polaroid picture.
When you’re ready to cook, take the chicken out of the marinade bowl, add to the dry mix, coat and shake. Then shallow fry for about 10 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve with veg or in a sandwich.
Cooking al fresco: