A few weeks ago I had a go at making my own vermouth by infusing some herbs and spices in a small amount of vodka and adding it to some wine. I bottled it last week and the results are pretty good!
Now I’m having a go at making my own gin-like drink. No idea if this is going to work, but the plan is this: I filled a small jar with vodka and added the ingredients listed below. It already smells like gin! I’m hoping that the longer I leave it, the more intense the flavours will be and hence the more I will be able to dilute the resulting ‘tea’ with plain vodka to make it go further.
Here’s what’s in the jar:
- Handful of juniper berries – this is essential!
- 3 petals of star anise
- about 10 coriander seeds
- a sage leaf from the garden
- some cucumber peel
- tiny amount of dried thyme
- a cardamom pod and its seeds, crushed
- a sliver of nutmeg
- a few rosemary leaves
- a kaffir lime leaf
- a few fennel seeds
- small amount of cinnamon
- some lemon peel, thinly-sliced
- fresh ginger, small amount, thinly-sliced